Mid-Atlantic Fleet & Family Readiness COVID-19 Program Updates
With the current spread of COVID-19, the priorities for Mid-Atlantic Fleet & Family Readiness Programs are to protect personnel and support the mission. We are developing this web page to provide the most current information for MWR, CYP, Housing, FFSC and Galley closures, cancellations and adjusted services.
Naval Station Newport COVID-19 Update
Last Updated 12:36 p.m. on March 23, 2020
- For up-to-date news regarding Navy Region Mid-Atlantic, please visit https://www.cnic.navy.mil/om/covid-19-updates.html.
- For up-to-date news on Naval Station Newport, please visit https://www.facebook.com/NAVSTANewport/.
- Gate 2 is closed until further notice.
- Gate 1 is closed until further notice.
- Gate 17 will remain the only operational gate (24/7) onto the main installation until further notice. Installation personnel and visitors should use Gate 17 located at the intersection of Pier Access Road and Defense Highway (Burma Road) in Middletown.
ID Card services
- As of April 6, DoD Health Protection measures direct the wearing of face coverings in situations in which social distancing (6ft separation) cannot be maintained. This applies to all personnel while onboard DoD installations. Please note this change and be prepared when you come to the installation for NEX/Commissary visits or banking. The centers for disease control and prevention has informed on how to fashion protection from common household material. Go to: www.cdc.gov and click on the link for "CORONOVIRUS."
- Galley is open to RIK only, Monday through Friday, Weekends & Holidays, Breakfast, 6 to 8 a.m.; Lunch, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.; and Dinner, 4:45 to 6:30 p.m.
Fleet & Family Support Services (FFSC)
No in-person appointments and counseling.
Essential services are available remotely: Family Advocacy Program call (202) 718-8366; for Sailor Assistance and Intercept for Life (401) 862-8415 and Sexual Assault Prevention and Response programs (401) 450-2327. If other assistance is needed, please call (401) 841-2283 and leave a message. Your call will be triaged and referred to the appropriate point of contact.
TAP requirements can be met through JKO. CAPSTONE may be completed at the command.
All other training, classes and events postponed to limit close contact.
Child and Youth Programs
- CYP enrolled children with a parent at home (including telework, distance learning, etc) must remain at home with the parent. Requests for exceptions to this guidance will be considered on a case-by-case basis by the installation commanding officer. For a request for an exception, email: Dean Weidman – email@example.com
- CHILD DEVELOPMENT CENTER adjustments in services are ongoing. Parents/caregivers of enrolled children are notified directly (or can call 841-4562/2883 for more info).
Morale, Welfare & Recreation (MWR)
- John H. Chafee Fitness Center - CLOSED until further notice. If patrons want to retrieve personal items from their gym locker, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an appointment.
- Officers' Club - CLOSED
- Auto Skills Center - CLOSED
- Community Recreation - Delivery Service/Pick Up ONLY 3 to 7 p.m. seven days a week. For menu click here.
- Leisure Bay Café - OPEN; Weekdays 6:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.; Weekends 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. All vehicle drivers use drive-thru, if on foot go inside to order and take out only. For menu click here.
- The MWR Stoveaway Food Truck: Current location - Between OTCN Callaghan Hall (BLDG 370), Marine Corps Detachment (BLDG 1112) & OTCN Lt. Murphy Combat Training Pool (BLDG 1357)! Available Monday through Friday, 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. For menu click here.
- Coaster Harbor Island Marina - The Coasters Harbor Island Marina and boat ramp are closed until June 1. Please call (401) 841-3283 if you need additional information.
- All other MWR operations and events are temporarily suspended or paused.
Click here for a printable version of closures